Follow me on Blogarama Cooking doesn't suck. Dishes do. Skip to main content

Cooking doesn't suck. Dishes do.

My mom is an amazing cook. She is like MacGuyver in the kitchen. She walks in with a bag of a flour and paperclip and comes out with a delicious dinner and a plate of cookies. Seriously, it's magic and tastes that way too! I also have two kitchen magicians in my Grandmothers who both taught me so much about cooking and baking.
Not my mom's, but they look magical!

I like baking. I like baking a lot. I have a sweet tooth, so making a fun dessert is super fun for me. Sometimes for breakfast, I make these Swedish Cardamom Buns that are delicious. Depression Cake is called that because it was popular during the Depression. It can also help snap you out of a depression because it tastes fantastic.

I bring this up because as much as I like baking, I really don't like cooking. I do it at home because I am scared that my husband will burn down the house. This isn't "traditional gender-role" nonsense. He is just a little scary. Like he will measure out the amount of water to be boiled for pasta, but then forgets to set a timer for the oven. Also, we have an understanding that whomever cooks the meal doesn't have to do the dishes and I'd do anything to avoid doing the dishes!
Nope.

While I was fortunate enough to learn basic cooking skills from a young age, I realize not everyone has had that same experience. A couple of people I have spoken to recently told me how intimidated they feel in the kitchen. They don't like to cook a meal from scratch, so instead rely on frozen meals or takeout. Everyone should have at least a basic understanding of how to make a meal. I have put together some easy steps so that you can start your culinary journey!

Get what you need now, add more later!

1. Get some equipment!
You don't need a million pots, pans, and knives for this. Just a couple of basics that you could pick up just about anywhere are good starts. You can always upgrade later if you decide you want to, but don't go bankrupt with this. You can find these at Target or Wal-Mart. You could even go to Goodwill, and get some good quality, even if they are used.
Cooking Starter Set:
- Sauce pan with lid
- Cutting board
- Frying pan (cast iron is less expensive than you think and you can even get an iron boost when you saute veggies!)
- Chef's Knife (if you invest in one thing, it should be this)
- Wooden Spoon
- Ladle

2. Buy some real ingredients!
Now that you have your equipment, you need the food! I am going to assume that you are going to a grocery store, but a farmer's market, farm stand, CSA, or other source of fresh vegetables would be a great choice too. If you are super new to cooking or aren't working from a recipe, stick with vegetables that you already know, carrots, celery, onion, etc. Jicama is really good, but if you don't know what it tastes like or what would pair well with it, save it for another time. In other parts of the store, choose items that don't come in a box or are wrapped in plastic as much as possible. Some exceptions to this rule would be things like a bag of dried beans or rice. Canned food is okay, but read the ingredients. Flash frozen fruits and vegetables can actually hold more nutrients than fresh and can be more economical. Again, check the ingredients and make sure you know what everything is.

So Spicy!

3. Flavor your food!
This is where you can really have some fun! Before you leave the produce section, pick up some bulbs of garlic (fresh garlic won't stay on your breath like garlic powder and it tastes better too!) and then head to the spice section of the store. Start with salt and pepper. Kosher salt is my go to, but if you want just some regular salt, do you. I grew up in an Italian household, so basil, oregano, and rosemary are standards in my kitchen. Relive your childhood with spices that remind you of days past, or be adventurous and try something new. Stay away from the spice blends that have garlic powder and salt added to them. Choose just one or two to start and then build up your collection as your cooking skills grow. Before you leave, add some quality olive oil to your cart.

It's so much easier in the long run!
4. Get prepped! 
You have your equipment, your ingredients, and your spices and you are probably hungry. Before you start cooking, you will want to have all of your ingredients ready. Measure out everything you can and get your vegetables chopped. YouTube and Pinterest are great resources for learning to chop and use your knife without chopping your fingers off.


5. Now we can cook!
I will walk you through how I make a stir fry. It's a really easy dish that you can customize based on what you have. Start by boiling your water for your rice. While that is going, add a tablespoon or so of olive oil to your frying pan. When that gets hot, add in your garlic and onion if you have it. Now your water is probably boiling, so add in the rice, put the lid on the pot, set your timer for 15 minutes, and turn down the burner to simmer. Add your vegetables to the frying pan and stir them about a little bit with your wooden spoon, add some salt and pepper and your choice of spice. Keep stirring the vegetables every couple of moments to keep them from burning. Poke the veggies with a fork every so often to test their softness. And don't forget to taste them to adjust the seasoning. Once the vegetables are as cooked as you would like them, take them off the stove. Serve your meal by scooping the cooked rice onto a plate and topping with the vegetables. Eat and enjoy your handiwork!

Cooking really isn't that difficult to do. Try some different recipes, experiment with different ingredients and spices. Don't let bad meals get the best of you. You didn't fail, you just figured out a combination that didn't work (to paraphrase Edison). Keep going and keep improving! Most importantly, HAVE FUN WITH IT!

It's a proven fact that food tastes better when you have fun cooking it!

Photo Credits:
https://www.instagram.com/tinamnordphotography/
https://www.instagram.com/flora_westbrook/
https://www.pexels.com/@goumbik
https://www.instagram.com/cottonbro/
https://www.instagram.com/fokuscreations/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spinach and Muscle Growth

Yum, spinach! It’s one of my favorites and a staple in my house. I like to use it as a base for smoothies, salads, and wraps. Occasionally, I do cook it, but only enough so that is turns an even brighter shade of green. My kitten is a fan too, insisting that I give her a leaf whenever I open the bag. Spinach is thought to have originated in Persia and is in the same family as both beets and quinoa (which make for a fantastic veggie bowl, but that's a post for a different day). From Persia, the vegetable traveled to India and then to China, where it was known simply as “Persian Vegetable.” Spinach moved westward, gaining popularity in Europe as it was a vegetable that grew quickly in the early spring.  This Provided a welcome break in the monotony of winter stores.  Most people associate spinach with Popeye. That famous Sailor Man inhaled his canned leafy greens making his muscles explode as he saved Olive Oyl time and time again. As a result, spinach sales during WWII i

Eat Away Depression

I watched a pharmaceutical commercial for a new anti-depressant that you take when your existing anti-depressant isn't working. This new pill is a supplement to the existing one, so two anti-depressants. As someone who has been on medication to regulate my brain, this doesn't jive with me. We know that food can be used to cure a lot of our physical ailments, such as a bowl of soup when we have a cold. But, there is emerging science about using food to help us with our  mental health .  Magnesium mmmm...Chocolate... Magnesium does a LOT. This mineral is responsible for ensuring that your heart beats normally, helps keep your immune system strong, and creates energy and protein. Over 100 years ago, it was discovered that it can also help with depression. Eat almonds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate and kale for an extra punch of magnesium in your diet.  Vitamin D 🎶You are my sunshine, my only sunshine! You make me happy when skies are gray!🎶  emojis IRL This

Failure and the Half Marathon Obstacle Race

I failed at my goal yesterday.  I give it as much as I could, but couldn’t reach the finish line. It was raining and cold. I had been walking in mud for the last 11 miles straight. My shoes were just mud puddles strapped to my feet weighing down my legs, my clothes were sopped and mud-caked. I made many of the obstacles I didn’t think I would. I had to burpee out at some of the ones I thought I would fly through. But I was on the verge of bonking without food and ill prepared for the cold. I think I could have gone a little further, but my teammate was completely bonked, could hardly stand, and was on the verge of hypothermia. I could have gone on a little further, and maybe could have made the finish line with that coveted medal. But, without my team mate, it would have cost my soul. Overall, I do feel a little pride for everything I did. It was hard, harder than I thought. I may be sad today and time may blur how bad the conditions were, how uncomfortable, tired, and hungry I was.