Follow me on Blogarama Eat Away Depression Skip to main content

Eat Away Depression

I watched a pharmaceutical commercial for a new anti-depressant that you take when your existing anti-depressant isn't working. This new pill is a supplement to the existing one, so two anti-depressants. As someone who has been on medication to regulate my brain, this doesn't jive with me.

We know that food can be used to cure a lot of our physical ailments, such as a bowl of soup when we have a cold. But, there is emerging science about using food to help us with our mental health

Magnesium

mmmm...Chocolate...
Magnesium does a LOT. This mineral is responsible for ensuring that your heart beats normally, helps keep your immune system strong, and creates energy and protein. Over 100 years ago, it was discovered that it can also help with depression. Eat almonds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate and kale for an extra punch of magnesium in your diet. 


Vitamin D
🎶You are my sunshine, my only sunshine! You make me happy when skies are gray!🎶 
emojis IRL
This is what goes on in my head when I think of Vitamin D. Your skin can actually absorb it through sunshine! How cool is that? But, it does mean that gray skies are more likely to make you feel sad. The Sun isn't your only option, Vitamin D can be found in mushrooms, fortified orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.  

Selenium

Don't go nuts. Eat nuts.
Selenium can help you to create DNA, keep your thyroid function correctly, and can protect your cells from free radicals. Increasing the amount of selenium in your diet can lift your mood and reduce symptoms associated with anxiety. The number one best food to have are Brazil nuts. But, be careful. The recommended daily value of selenium is 400 micrograms. Brazil nuts have anywhere between 6 and 91 micrograms, so eating more than 4 or 5 can cause hair loss, rashes, and nausea. Extremely high levels over a period of time can cause heart attacks or kidney failure.      

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Don't write a blog when hungry.
Scientists noticed that cultures with diets that include marine life had lower levels of depression, so they took a closer look to see if there was a link. They found that Omega 3s, specifically EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) have a significant impact on mood. While Omega-3s may be a treatment for depression, borderline personality disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder, it is not recommended for bipolar depression. The Omega-3s can actually trigger a manic episode and should be carefully supervised. Of course, there remains more to be learned about the effects of Omega-3s. A great source for Omega-3s that have both EPA and DHA is seaweed! Get a seaweed salad to pair with your sushi, or check out the really tasty seaweed snacks!  

Exercise

People with a smaller hippocampus are more susceptible to symptoms of depression. The hippocampus is a part of the brain that regulates mood. Exercise can release neurotrophic proteins which can cause nerves to grow and create new connections in the hippocampus, relieving depression. Depression is also subject to Newton's Laws; an object at rest stays at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. Be the outside force! I know it can be the hardest thing in the world but walk your dog, do 10 sit ups, go for a bike ride, do ballet, or HIIT, or cross fit, or run an ultramarathon, or fight your best friend in martial arts. In this instance, do what makes your heart sing!
Her heart is singing while high on Neurotrophic Proteins
Mental Health is a spectrum. Using my advice may be enough to help you out of the doldrums, and I hope it does. But, more serious bouts of the blues should be diagnosed and treated by an actual doctor (which I am not, and don't pretend to be). 

If you are feeling really down and need someone to talk to, please reach out! 

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
This feeling isn't permanent, it is going to get better!!

Check My Sources:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23950577
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002423.htm
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-foods-high-in-magnesium#section11
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-is-an-all-natural-treatment-to-fight-depression
https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/benefits-vitamin-d#food-sources
https://medlineplus.gov/vitaminddeficiency.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1873372
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-Consumer/
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/omega-3-fatty-acids-for-mood-disorders-2018080314414

Photo Credits
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51321874@N07/
https://www.pexels.com/@pixabay
https://www.pexels.com/@suju?utm_content=attributionCopyText&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pexels
https://www.instagram.com/martabranco90/

Comments

  1. Thank you for these kind words!! It has truly made my day! I hope you continue to enjoy my site!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spinach and Muscle Growth

Yum, spinach! It’s one of my favorites and a staple in my house. I like to use it as a base for smoothies, salads, and wraps. Occasionally, I do cook it, but only enough so that is turns an even brighter shade of green. My kitten is a fan too, insisting that I give her a leaf whenever I open the bag. Spinach is thought to have originated in Persia and is in the same family as both beets and quinoa (which make for a fantastic veggie bowl, but that's a post for a different day). From Persia, the vegetable traveled to India and then to China, where it was known simply as “Persian Vegetable.” Spinach moved westward, gaining popularity in Europe as it was a vegetable that grew quickly in the early spring.  This Provided a welcome break in the monotony of winter stores.  Most people associate spinach with Popeye. That famous Sailor Man inhaled his canned leafy greens making his muscles explode as he saved Olive Oyl time and time again. As a result, spinach sales during WWII i

Failure and the Half Marathon Obstacle Race

I failed at my goal yesterday.  I give it as much as I could, but couldn’t reach the finish line. It was raining and cold. I had been walking in mud for the last 11 miles straight. My shoes were just mud puddles strapped to my feet weighing down my legs, my clothes were sopped and mud-caked. I made many of the obstacles I didn’t think I would. I had to burpee out at some of the ones I thought I would fly through. But I was on the verge of bonking without food and ill prepared for the cold. I think I could have gone a little further, but my teammate was completely bonked, could hardly stand, and was on the verge of hypothermia. I could have gone on a little further, and maybe could have made the finish line with that coveted medal. But, without my team mate, it would have cost my soul. Overall, I do feel a little pride for everything I did. It was hard, harder than I thought. I may be sad today and time may blur how bad the conditions were, how uncomfortable, tired, and hungry I was.