Follow me on Blogarama We All Float Down Here Skip to main content

We All Float Down Here


Imagine being shut in a room, with no light, no sound, and it's wet. Sounds pretty creepy? It's actually called floating and is so cool! I have been wanting to try this for a pretty long time. I think I first read about them in one of the Dan Brown books (Not the DaVinci code, but the other one with Tom Hanks on a treasure hunt. Oh, they are all like that?). I never realized they were actually available for normal people to use though. I was a little nervous about it. I am not claustrophobic, but being locked in a small container seems like a perfect target for a serial killer.
What is it?
A sensory deprivation chamber (or float tank, it's easier to type) is a tank filled with about 8-12 inches of water and 1,100 pounds of epsom salt. Yeah, it's twice the salinity of the Dead Sea, so you definitely float inside. The tanks are sound proof and light proof. Because water is heated to body tempurature of 98.6 degrees, you can't feel where the water ends and your body begins. The only thing I don't think they can control is the smell. It wasn't awful, but epsom salt has a distinct odor. Taste isn't an issue since you don't drink the water (obvi).   

Why would you do this?
Research on this began back in the 1950's by a gentleman named Dr. John C. Lilly, a neuroscientist. He was looking for the origins of conciousness. He eventually tried LSD and ketamine while in the tanks, which I do not recommend (obvi).

There was a study done with 65 participants divided into two groups, the "waitlisted" (or control) group and the group who got to float. After 12 sessions over 7 weeks, the floating group reported increased quality of sleep and optimism as well as decreased symptoms of depression, anxiety, and pain.

Another benefit of floating is soothing your sore muscles. Epsom salt is a compound of magnesium and sulfate. And, we know from this post that magnesium is an electrolyte.

My Float
That door is the portal to relaxation
I arrived at glowspa here in Mount Pleasant, SC (link is below) about 10 minutes before my scheduled time. I was given a tour of the spa and my little room for the next 90 minutes. The room is about the size of a small bathroom, with room for the float tank and space for you to step in and out. There is a separate door to the room. The float tank was different than I expected. I was kind of nervous that it would be an actual tank and I could get locked in. But, the "tank" looked like an enclosed bathtub. It is 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and tall enough that even someone less vertically challenged than I could stand up without hitting their head.

 At the beginning of the float, they asked that I shower to remove any lotion, deodorant, etc. They also asked that all guests float au naturale as detergent can also affect the water. And, the waiver that I signed said that if they have to drain and refill the tank because of me, I owe them $1000. I made sure to follow all of the rules. After my shower, I took out my contacts, watch, and jewelry. I was also given earplugs for the sound and to keep the water from getting in my ears.

Better than wine
From the shower, I walked back to my little room, disrobed, and climbed in. It was surreal at first. I just floated. I didn't try to float, I didn't have to doggy paddle or anything, I just floated. In the tank, there is a switch for the light. When on, it glows a soothing blue, but I wanted the full experience and flipped that off. And it was dark, so dark I forgot if my eyes were open or closed. I spent some of the time pushing myself back and forth in the tank. As I did this, it started to feel as though the tank was being stretched. It took was taking longer to reach the other side. I tried to relax my mind as much as I could, but I am so Type A, it was really difficult at first. Eventually, I was able to turn off my brain. I had a couple of lucid dreams. I was given a ring to lay my head on, which inspired a dream about me being the planet Saturn floating around space waving to my other planet friends on our journey around the sun (it was pretty cool).

Just as I thought to myself, okay, this is long enough, I began to hear the music that meant my time was up. I got out of the float, (rerobed) and went back to the shower to rinse off the salt. I washed my hair twice, to get the salt out, but also because the shampoo smelled really good! I was feeling dreamy and relaxed as I headed back to my car for the drive home.

Overall, it was the coolest experience. I highly recommend this for anyone. I signed up for 90 minutes, which may be too long for some people, but since I am always tightly wound, this was the right amount for me to be able to really enjoy the float. My body felt more relaxed than with a massage (I like massages, but I don't like people touching me, so this is better). My brain got to shut down for a little bit, which doesn't happen. I can see where doing this multiple times would help with mental health. Having that time to shut down and reset is beneficial. I would do this again in a heartbeat and think you should too.
And We'll All Float On
Check it out: https://www.glowspa.net/
https://www.healthline.com/health/sensory-deprivation-tank#1
https://bmccomplementmedtherapies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6882-14-417

Photo Credits
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmberLamoreauxArt?ref=pexels
https://isabellamariana.46graus.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spinach and Muscle Growth

Yum, spinach! It’s one of my favorites and a staple in my house. I like to use it as a base for smoothies, salads, and wraps. Occasionally, I do cook it, but only enough so that is turns an even brighter shade of green. My kitten is a fan too, insisting that I give her a leaf whenever I open the bag. Spinach is thought to have originated in Persia and is in the same family as both beets and quinoa (which make for a fantastic veggie bowl, but that's a post for a different day). From Persia, the vegetable traveled to India and then to China, where it was known simply as “Persian Vegetable.” Spinach moved westward, gaining popularity in Europe as it was a vegetable that grew quickly in the early spring.  This Provided a welcome break in the monotony of winter stores.  Most people associate spinach with Popeye. That famous Sailor Man inhaled his canned leafy greens making his muscles explode as he saved Olive Oyl time and time again. As a result, spinach sales during WWII i

Eat Away Depression

I watched a pharmaceutical commercial for a new anti-depressant that you take when your existing anti-depressant isn't working. This new pill is a supplement to the existing one, so two anti-depressants. As someone who has been on medication to regulate my brain, this doesn't jive with me. We know that food can be used to cure a lot of our physical ailments, such as a bowl of soup when we have a cold. But, there is emerging science about using food to help us with our  mental health .  Magnesium mmmm...Chocolate... Magnesium does a LOT. This mineral is responsible for ensuring that your heart beats normally, helps keep your immune system strong, and creates energy and protein. Over 100 years ago, it was discovered that it can also help with depression. Eat almonds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate and kale for an extra punch of magnesium in your diet.  Vitamin D 🎶You are my sunshine, my only sunshine! You make me happy when skies are gray!🎶  emojis IRL This

Failure and the Half Marathon Obstacle Race

I failed at my goal yesterday.  I give it as much as I could, but couldn’t reach the finish line. It was raining and cold. I had been walking in mud for the last 11 miles straight. My shoes were just mud puddles strapped to my feet weighing down my legs, my clothes were sopped and mud-caked. I made many of the obstacles I didn’t think I would. I had to burpee out at some of the ones I thought I would fly through. But I was on the verge of bonking without food and ill prepared for the cold. I think I could have gone a little further, but my teammate was completely bonked, could hardly stand, and was on the verge of hypothermia. I could have gone on a little further, and maybe could have made the finish line with that coveted medal. But, without my team mate, it would have cost my soul. Overall, I do feel a little pride for everything I did. It was hard, harder than I thought. I may be sad today and time may blur how bad the conditions were, how uncomfortable, tired, and hungry I was.