Follow me on Blogarama One Day at a Time Skip to main content

One Day at a Time


As you are reading this, I sincerely hope that you are staying safe and healthy.

It's been hard to write new posts for this blog. I don't have any medical training, so to write anything regarding the virus would be misleading and unethical. And finding inspiration beyond the virus is difficult. I am not sure if I should find comfort from this, but knowing that we are all under this same stress is making it bearable. I do find solace in the fact that we will get through this. This is not forever. Eventually, we will get back to our concerts, our games, our jobs, our lives. Our only option now is to persevere.

I have a friend in recovery and attended some meetings with him Before. One of the meetings discussed the famous AA adage of "One Day at a Time" and it really hit home for me. Yesterday has already happened and is beyond your power to change. Tomorrow has yet to come, and you don't know what will happen. The only thing that you can do is keep yourself accountable for today.

At the time, I thought of how this related to health and wellness. Like most of us, I get tempted with
Not me, but she looks happy!
unhealthy food. But, I thought how I can adjust my thinking to, "I'm going to make this meal as healthy as I can. I don't know about the next one and I can't undo the last, but this is the one I can control." It really really struck a chord for me and helped me to understand what the other people and my friend might be going through.

As Corona continues it's World Tour, there are struggles that we never thought we would have to face. Did you ever think that you would need to ground your parents? Or, figure out how you would be able to share a computer with your child when you have work and she has school? Would you have ever treated toilet paper like it was the "must-have toy" of the Christmas season? For real, who out there knows the delivery schedule of their local grocery stores?

Adjusting to any new routine is hard, and this one was sudden and unforgiving. But, don't feel guilty for kicking your kid off the internet so you can get on your conference call. It's okay to let the dog run in the backyard instead of taking her on a long walk. And it is definitely acceptable to shrug your household chores for a some trashy TV show just because you need an escape. At the end of the day, as long as you did everything within your power and tried the best that you could with the resources and knowledge you have, you deserve a gold star.
Even Oprah agrees, you are doing a great job. 
Use the past to learn from your mistakes. Don't stress about tomorrow, it's not here yet. Focus on the good that you can do one day at a time. 

Photo Credits:
https://thngocbich.wordpress.com/
https://www.behindthelens.com.au/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spinach and Muscle Growth

Yum, spinach! It’s one of my favorites and a staple in my house. I like to use it as a base for smoothies, salads, and wraps. Occasionally, I do cook it, but only enough so that is turns an even brighter shade of green. My kitten is a fan too, insisting that I give her a leaf whenever I open the bag. Spinach is thought to have originated in Persia and is in the same family as both beets and quinoa (which make for a fantastic veggie bowl, but that's a post for a different day). From Persia, the vegetable traveled to India and then to China, where it was known simply as “Persian Vegetable.” Spinach moved westward, gaining popularity in Europe as it was a vegetable that grew quickly in the early spring.  This Provided a welcome break in the monotony of winter stores.  Most people associate spinach with Popeye. That famous Sailor Man inhaled his canned leafy greens making his muscles explode as he saved Olive Oyl time and time again. As a result, spinach sales during WWII i

Eat Away Depression

I watched a pharmaceutical commercial for a new anti-depressant that you take when your existing anti-depressant isn't working. This new pill is a supplement to the existing one, so two anti-depressants. As someone who has been on medication to regulate my brain, this doesn't jive with me. We know that food can be used to cure a lot of our physical ailments, such as a bowl of soup when we have a cold. But, there is emerging science about using food to help us with our  mental health .  Magnesium mmmm...Chocolate... Magnesium does a LOT. This mineral is responsible for ensuring that your heart beats normally, helps keep your immune system strong, and creates energy and protein. Over 100 years ago, it was discovered that it can also help with depression. Eat almonds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate and kale for an extra punch of magnesium in your diet.  Vitamin D 🎶You are my sunshine, my only sunshine! You make me happy when skies are gray!🎶  emojis IRL This

Failure and the Half Marathon Obstacle Race

I failed at my goal yesterday.  I give it as much as I could, but couldn’t reach the finish line. It was raining and cold. I had been walking in mud for the last 11 miles straight. My shoes were just mud puddles strapped to my feet weighing down my legs, my clothes were sopped and mud-caked. I made many of the obstacles I didn’t think I would. I had to burpee out at some of the ones I thought I would fly through. But I was on the verge of bonking without food and ill prepared for the cold. I think I could have gone a little further, but my teammate was completely bonked, could hardly stand, and was on the verge of hypothermia. I could have gone on a little further, and maybe could have made the finish line with that coveted medal. But, without my team mate, it would have cost my soul. Overall, I do feel a little pride for everything I did. It was hard, harder than I thought. I may be sad today and time may blur how bad the conditions were, how uncomfortable, tired, and hungry I was.