Follow me on Blogarama Disappoint. Renewal. Clarity. Skip to main content

Disappoint. Renewal. Clarity.

As 2019 winds down with a busier than normal holiday season, I have noticed so many people tell me that they can't wait for it to all be over as this was a "rough year" for them. These are the same people who told me that 2018 was a "hard year" and that 2017 was a "unlucky year." Of course, as someone who wants to help people (but also feels weird about overstepping my bounds), my heart hurts. What is going on with my friends that they are having so many bad years?


I’m not without empathy. This time last year, I was that person. In my head, I refer to 2018 as “the year of disappointment” in a loud, booming voice. I began that year in my dream job, which quickly turned to a nightmare filled with car accidents, fights with my husband, sexual harassment, job burnout, tears, blood, anxiety, and depression. Sweat is absent from this equation as I quickly fell back into old habits of inactivity and unhealthy binging. I ended that year mentally broken, counting the days until 2019 would begin.

The New Year affronted me a level of lucidity, which in turn brought along healing. I knew in my heart

of hearts that I was in a bad place and didn't want to be there any more. So, I reviewed, reflected, and reset. I started the year with some Resolutions that would help me to get back to where I was before. I wanted to get back to running seriously, so signed up for a half marathon. I grew up as the most voracious reader ever (Seriously, I taught myself to read at 3). Somehow, I had not read a book in all of 2018! So, I challenged myself to read at least 12 new books, which I did, by March (told you I was voracious). 2019 turned into the "Year of Renewal," in large, friendly letters. I don't tell you these things to brag (although, it is pretty cool), but to inspire. If you are someone who has seen the last few years pass by with dread and despair, I challenge you to make 2020 the "Year of Clarity" (get it, 20/20, like vision. I lol'd, I hope you did too). 

If you are someone praying for 2019 to end so you can get a fresh start in 2020, I ask, what are you doing to change the pattern? Here are some things that can help:
- Make two lists, one of things that were GREAT in 2019 and another of things that weren't so great. Is there a pattern? What did you do to bring about these things, good or bad, and what do you need to do different next year.
- What is your vision of a perfect year? Do you have a fancy new job? A cool new house that is clean all the time? Do you have a group of awesome new friends that lift you up? What are the steps that you need to take to reach these goals?
- What are some small steps that you can take now that will have major impact for you next year? Mine was the half marathon. Training consistently for this was hard and I was ready for it to be done with at the end, but it was the catalyst I needed to create a healthy habit of working out regularly.
- Is there a cool hobby that you can start that will help you to reach your goal? eg, if your goal is to eat 3 healthy meals a week and save $100 extra dollars a month, can you combine those goals by learning how to cook awesome gourmet healthy meals that taste as good as a meal at a restaurant?

What am I missing here? What are you going to do to make
(empowering voice of your choosing)? 

TL:DR - 2018 Sara lacked the confidence to know she was more than her job and thought that stress was a way of life. 2019 Sara became learned how to make the changes needed to get a better life. 2020 Sara is going to rule the f-ing world and you are too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spinach and Muscle Growth

Yum, spinach! It’s one of my favorites and a staple in my house. I like to use it as a base for smoothies, salads, and wraps. Occasionally, I do cook it, but only enough so that is turns an even brighter shade of green. My kitten is a fan too, insisting that I give her a leaf whenever I open the bag. Spinach is thought to have originated in Persia and is in the same family as both beets and quinoa (which make for a fantastic veggie bowl, but that's a post for a different day). From Persia, the vegetable traveled to India and then to China, where it was known simply as “Persian Vegetable.” Spinach moved westward, gaining popularity in Europe as it was a vegetable that grew quickly in the early spring.  This Provided a welcome break in the monotony of winter stores.  Most people associate spinach with Popeye. That famous Sailor Man inhaled his canned leafy greens making his muscles explode as he saved Olive Oyl time and time again. As a result, spinach sales during WWII i

Eat Away Depression

I watched a pharmaceutical commercial for a new anti-depressant that you take when your existing anti-depressant isn't working. This new pill is a supplement to the existing one, so two anti-depressants. As someone who has been on medication to regulate my brain, this doesn't jive with me. We know that food can be used to cure a lot of our physical ailments, such as a bowl of soup when we have a cold. But, there is emerging science about using food to help us with our  mental health .  Magnesium mmmm...Chocolate... Magnesium does a LOT. This mineral is responsible for ensuring that your heart beats normally, helps keep your immune system strong, and creates energy and protein. Over 100 years ago, it was discovered that it can also help with depression. Eat almonds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate and kale for an extra punch of magnesium in your diet.  Vitamin D 🎶You are my sunshine, my only sunshine! You make me happy when skies are gray!🎶  emojis IRL This

Failure and the Half Marathon Obstacle Race

I failed at my goal yesterday.  I give it as much as I could, but couldn’t reach the finish line. It was raining and cold. I had been walking in mud for the last 11 miles straight. My shoes were just mud puddles strapped to my feet weighing down my legs, my clothes were sopped and mud-caked. I made many of the obstacles I didn’t think I would. I had to burpee out at some of the ones I thought I would fly through. But I was on the verge of bonking without food and ill prepared for the cold. I think I could have gone a little further, but my teammate was completely bonked, could hardly stand, and was on the verge of hypothermia. I could have gone on a little further, and maybe could have made the finish line with that coveted medal. But, without my team mate, it would have cost my soul. Overall, I do feel a little pride for everything I did. It was hard, harder than I thought. I may be sad today and time may blur how bad the conditions were, how uncomfortable, tired, and hungry I was.